Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I have to send in an official transcript?
Yes. Students must send an official transcript from their home university. We cannot accept unofficial or student generated transcripts.

Q. Is my deposit refundable?
No. Your $250 processing fee must be submitted immediately after you complete the application.

Q. My GPA does not meet the minimum requirement. Can I still apply?
Exceptions may be made for GPA requirements. An academic letter of recommendation and a letter of intent will be required from students who do not meet the GPA requirement.

Q. How do I begin the process?
Interested students must set up an appointment with an AYE advisor. Speaking to an AYE advisor will make the process easier and stress-free. The advisor will guide you through the process including helping you secure a traveling visa, selecting your courses, housing, etc. 
For more information on how you can participate in our Study Abroad program, please book a one-on-one session with an advisor via email at In the subject line, please put Study Abroad Program: Advisory Request.

Q. What does the application process include?
Students must submit an official transcript, passport photos for record purposes, recommendation letters, an essay, a signed course selection sheet, and disciplinary clearance form.

Q. What would I need to travel?
Students who are US citizens will need a valid US passport and Visa from the Ghana Embassy. Other nationals will need a valid passport and a Visa (Visa fees may apply). AYE coordinates the acquisition of Visa for students. However, students are responsible to acquire a valid passport. Students whose passports will expire 6 months after the day of departure should consider acquiring a new passport.

Q. Do I need Insurance to travel?
Yes. AYE supports students to acquire a comprehensive insurance plan that covers medical, accident, baggage and other emergencies. Students are required to have a comprehensive insurance upon departure. To learn more about how to acquire insurance, speak to an AYE abroad advisor. You can also read more by visiting AYE approved international insurance companies, Cultural Insurance Services International , HTH Travel Insurance and Medex Student Travel Insurance.

Q. Do you provide in-country support?
AYE has in-country support services for students at all times. These support services include advisory, coordination of arrival to and departure from Ghana, excursions/activities, emergencies, resource allocations, and facilitation of internships and overall supervision of students’ well-being while in Ghana.

Q. How will I pay for the AYE Abroad Program?
Students are advised to pay for the program with their financial aid. Most universities allow students to use their financial aid to pay for study abroad programs. Due to the affordability of our program, students’ financial aid package should be able to cover all costs. Your AYE advisor will work closely with your International Programs Office to ensure a full disbursement of your program fee.

Q. Do I need a loan?
It is highly unlikely that students who travel with us would need a loan to participate in our program. Our program is about $3,000 to $5,000 cheaper than other programs. This extra money can be used to cover your airfare and also living expenses when in Ghana.

Q. Are my courses transferable?
All courses and even some research work are transferable. Students must work closely with their home professor and their AYE advisor to make sure courses taken are transferable. Student must complete this process before he/she leaves for abroad.

Q. Any Health Requirements?
Yes. You must take all required shots and medications prior to departure. Prior to departure, your AYE advisor will take you through all health requirements and help you complete them successfully, and on time.